Position Title: Senior Legal Adviser
Reporting to: Legal Centre Project Manager
Duty Station: Tripoli, Libya
Area of Operation: Tripoli and surrounding area
Employment Period: 6 months
DRC has been operational in Libya and Tunisia since 2011 focusing on protection of the displaced and conflict affected population. These include IDPs mainly on the north western coast line west of Tripoli, refugees in Tunisia taking shelter in the Shousha camp, the population in and around Sirte affected by unexploded ordnance (UXOs) and to an increasing extent on the legal and illegal migrants and stateless populations in Libya. DRC/DDG has its head office in Tripoli and field offices in Zarzis (Tunisia) and in Sirte and is opening an office in Sabha. Sabha is located 800 km south of Tripoli and is a central transit point for migrants and is home to large numbers of minority groups and stateless populations.
The Senior Legal Adviser, in coordination and cooperation with the other lawyers, and directly supervised by the Legal Centre Project Manager, is expected to give a substantial contribution to the project’s objectives in the following manners:
- Inform and counsel refugees, asylum seekers and other persons of concern on issues related to their status, acquisition of personal documents, rights, social benefits and related matters.
- Provide legal aid including legal assistance and court representation.
- Advocate on behalf of beneficiaries to government authorities and civil society on issues related to rights of refugees, asylum seekers and other persons of concern.
Furthermore, the Senior Legal Adviser, in coordination and cooperation with supporting staff, is expected to pursue the following objectives in his/her daily work:
- The Senior Legal Adviser shall familiarise himself/herself with the aims and principles of the DRC, and act as a loyal employee of DRC in all contexts.
- The Senior Legal Adviser shall familiarise him/herself with DRC duty procedures, staff regulations, the Code of Conduct, and Humanitarian Accountability Principles (“HAP”) and observe these in the performance of his/her duties.
- The Senior Legal Adviser shall provide the best possible legal aid including preparation of legal documents, legal assistance and court representation in accordance with client’s best interest with the aims and principles of DRC and the legal context of Libya.
- The Senior Legal Adviser shall work closely with communities; peer groups (including elders, youth, children and women), community based organizations, local partners, government departments and other organisations, and promote a co-ordinated approach to protection efforts, relaying information obtained to the supervisor and staff.
- The Senior Legal Adviser shall advocate on behalf of beneficiaries to government authorities and civil society on issues related to rights of refugees, asylum seekers and other persons of concern.
- The Senior Legal Adviser shall actively encourage protection mainstreaming and a rights-based approach throughout all of DRC, including gender sensitivity.
Responsibilities and Tasks
To achieve the overall and specific position’s objectives the Senior Legal Adviser will perform the following tasks and undertake the following responsibilities:
- Implement the legal aid clinics as assigned, providing legal counsel to refugees, asylum seekers and other persons of concern on issues related to their status, acquisition of personal documents, rights, social benefits and related matters.
- Schedule and provide individual appointments for the beneficiaries as required.
- Carry out individual case registration.
- Prepare legal documents including applications, complaints, law suits etc for beneficiaries.
- Provide court representation, as required.
- Submit applications on behalf of beneficiaries to administrative bodies.
- Provide representation before administrative bodies, as required.
- Accompany beneficiaries to the state agencies, as required.
- Review legal documents including applications, complaints, law suits etc prepared by the Legal Case Workers, as required.
- Support the Legal Case Workers in resolving specific legal problems, as required.
- Carry out trainings on legal issues, as required.
- Develop brochures, leaflets, other information materials for distribution.
- Carry out statistical and narrative reporting as required for DRC project reporting.
- The Senior Legal Adviser shall ensure that his/her contribution to reporting accurately reflects the situation.
- Keep abreast of and advise the project on relevant national legislation and procedures.
- Conduct legal analysis and develop relevant reports, as required.
- Refer beneficiaries to appropriate partner organizations for issues outside of the scope of project activities.
- Promote rights of refugees, asylum seekers and other persons of concern and ensure best possible application of international human rights standards.
- Other duties as required by the Legal Centre Project Manager or Senior Protection manager.
Main results to be achieved at the end of the Employment Period
By the end of the project period, the following achievements are envisaged:
- The majority of refugees, asylum seekers and other persons of concern received a legal consultation and/or aid and their vulnerability is reduced.
- The general awareness on basic rights of refugees, asylum seekers and other persons of concern amongst the community including local authorities has increased.
Applicants must send a C.V. and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications that don’t include a covering letter demonstrating that they meet the essential qualifications, experience and competences will not be considered.