USAID’s Office of Transition Initiatives (USAID/OTI) launched the Libya Transition Initiative (LTI) in June 2011 to support Libyan efforts to build an inclusive and accountable democratic government that reflects the will and needs of the Libyan people.
LTI’s programmatic priority areas have been refocused since the program’s inception to reflect the strategic objective to support a credible, stable political transition in Libya. Specifically, USAID/OTI partners with civil society organizations, local media outlets, and interim governing authorities to—
1) Support inclusive implementation of key political processes,
2) Promote the development of effective, legitimate governance institutions,
3) Strengthen local initiatives to mitigate conflict that destabilizes the transition.
In each of these areas, USAID/OTI has identified an urgent need to ensure the voices of everyday citizens, especially women and youth, are amplified so all Libyans can participate in the country’s historic transition to democracy. As the political process continues to evolve, USAID/OTI’s rapid response ability is well suited to meet additional unforeseen needs that may emerge.
LTI is currently seeking one Regional Engineer to be based at LTI regional office in Tripoli. The Regional Engineer is responsible for assisting with design, implementation plan development, vendor evaluation, construction monitoring and progress payment certification for a number of high-profile community improvement grants. Based in a process of community engagement, these projects will be light construction at public parks. The Regional Engineer will work directly with contractors and community partners to ensure the soundness of design, monitor and supervise construction progress. Supporting the Senior Engineer, the Regional Engineer will also assist with adherence to international building codes including structural environment requirements of both USAID and Government of Libya, and will actively coordinate with program teams to ensure timely roll out and completion of all infrastructure activities. Specifically, the Regional Engineer will support activity development and implementation by reviewing construction specifications and plans, writing technical scopes of work, reviewing proposals, providing input and oversight of construction subcontracts, and ensure overall quality and adherence to standards of construction projects. The Regional Engineer report on technical matters to the Senior Engineer, but will be responsible for submitting progress report deliverables to the program manager.
The Regional Engineer will be responsible for performing the following tasks:
· Assist the Senior Engineer in providing direct oversight activities with infrastructure components.
· Ensure construction subcontractors adhere to established work plans and submit deliverables on time and in accordance with technical requirements.
· Certify in writing completed works for purposes of progress payments and final project acceptance.
· Verify that subcontractors obtain and maintain all required permits.
· Conduct field site visits to monitor construction projects throughout LTI’s regional areas of operation.
· Under the guidance of LTI Regional Program Development Officer/Program Manager, regularly communicate with the designated representative of the Municipal Council in each project location regarding project schedule and sequencing of construction activities. Alert the Senior Engineer immediately to any concerns expressed by the Municipal Council representative regarding the project works.
· Assist the Senior Engineer in the preparation of cost estimates, schedules, and technical scopes of work for proposed projects.
· Assist the Senior Engineer in ensuring all necessary compliance documentation, including environmental monitoring and mitigation plans, are completed for each project;
· Review proposals for construction projects and make technical recommendations for award.
· Ensure that infrastructure and rehabilitation activities conform to required engineering designs and standards.
· Assist market research on price reasonability for construction materials and services.
· Prepare meeting notes and field inspection reports.
· Research and maintain project awareness of relevant Libyan legal code including environmental, labor and zoning law.
· Participate in meetings with grantees, partners, and representatives of OTI, as required.
· Other related engineering and construction management activities, as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required, advanced degree in civil engineering preferred.
· Three years of construction management with increasing responsibility required.
· Experience with infrastructure-related RFP, proposal evaluation, and subcontract drafting and management preferred.
· Experience training and mentoring community partners or non-technical staff on infrastructure project oversight preferred.
· Strong skills in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) required.
· Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions for prolonged periods.
· Good oral communication and writing skills required.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to manage diverse professional relationships is essential.
· Fluency in both written and verbal English and Arabic is required.
This assignment will be two months in duration with start on/about July 1st 2016 to August 31st 2016.
The Regional Engineers will be based in Tripoli, but will be expected to travel to field sites
The Regional Engineer will report to the Senior Engineer. Chemonics/LTI may amend the SOW for this assignment in consultation with the employee.
Please send CV's and Cover letter to email@example.com with “LTI Regional Engineer” as the subject lineer