A. Job Title: Bookkeeper
B. Project: Chemonics - Libya Transition Initiative
C. Classification: Long-Term Local Support Staff
D. Reports To: Senior Finance Manager
E. Principal Position Objectives, Basic Functions, Critical Tasks:
The Libya Transition Initiative 2 (LTI2) project is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), through a contract with Chemonics International. The project supports the transition from the Qadhafi regime to a free and democratic Libya by supporting civil society, strengthening local and independent media outlets, and augmenting interim government authorities. The bookkeeper is a member of the field office finance team. The Bookkeeper reports to the Senior Finance Manager.
The Bookkeeper is responsible for assisting the Finance Manager with planning, managing, and implementing all aspects of the project accounting system and for maintaining an accounting database. In addition, he/she is responsible for collecting and recording all information that will facilitate information exchange and dissemination to the Chemonics home office.
F. Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
· Maintain a proper accounting department, checking the project’s internal control system to ensure that the policies and procedures are being adhered to including:
· Handle vendors’ and suppliers’ accounts including invoices, general ledger maintenance, journal entries, and account reconciliation. Carry out correct and timely payments to vendors and service providers.
· Prepare checks, cash payments, receipts, journals and working/tracking papers as needed;
· Review all accounting records for accuracy and legitimacy;
· Verify and ensure all supportive documentation of all payments before approval by the Finance Manager, the OFD, and/or the Chief of Party;
· Help to ensure compliance with lease/service contracts and agreement covenants before issuing payment(s); and,
· Enter data of all approved vouchers into ABACUS- the Chemonics Field Office accounting system.
· Responsible for maintaining accounting records and files of Program administrative financial documents with appropriate supporting material. Update records as necessary. Keep all financial and sensitive information pertaining to the Program confidential?
· Review and track cash balances daily and notify the Senior Finance Manager when the project requires more money from the home office.
· Ensure that the payroll forms are accurate and fully completed by the 26th of each month in accordance with the requirements of the relevant local laws of the bank or relevant authority.
· With the Senior Finance Manager, prepare the cash / bank reconciliation at the end of each month to close the month’s books, and submit to the home office.
· With the Senior Finance Manager maintain ABACUS and prepare monthly project locals according to project guidelines.
· Supervise petty cash management, including verification and review of petty cash payments for accuracy and legitimacy and reconciliation of remaining cash whenever replenishment is required.
· Track sub ledger balances, including receivable accounts for individual staff ensuring that outstanding travel advances are settled before issuing new advances. For vehicle mileage and personal telephone use, prepare invoices on a monthly basis.
· Assist Senior Finance Manager in preparing statutory monthly and annual reports for Libyan Tax Authorities.
· Assist Senior Finance Manager in analyzing and controlling daily costs and cash flow and assist in preparing weekly cash counts for CII in Washington.
· Assist Senior Finance Manager in preparing the monthly VAT reporting to USAID. Organize a good filing and tracking system for VAT Reports.
· Assist Senior Finance Manager in preparing the monthly subaward information reporting to USAID. Organize a good filing and tracking system for Subawards Information Reports.
· Maintain a logbook for non-expendable supplies.
· Do not accept or conduct any transactions that contradict or violate international accounting standards, agreements, general finance discipline or the integrity of the Program.
· Prepare letters, correspondence, requisitions, and other forms of documents of consequence to be signed by the Senior Finance Manager.
· Other duties as assigned by the Senior Finance Manager, Operations and Finance Director and/or Chief of Party.
G. Requirements and Qualifications
· Demonstrated working knowledge of accounting systems and software applications, to include: QuickBooks, MS Word, MS Excel, and other basic computer applications.
Please send cv’s to firstname.lastname@example.org “ Bookkeeper as the subject line.