The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) in Libya is seeking dynamic, committed and qualified persons interested in an exciting career in humanitarian affairs.
Title of the Position
Field Safety Associate – GL6
Type of contract/duration
Temporary Appointment (Six Months Renewable)
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country. It also has a mandate to help stateless people. In more than six decades, the agency has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives. Today, a staff of some 7,190 people in more than 120 countries continues to help some 36.4 million persons.
1. Organizational Context
The Field Safety Associate manages and supports activities pertaining to staff security.
The incumbent is supervised by a Senior Officer who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR staff members, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners in the area to facilitate the operation.
The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of security issues.
- Country operations receive practical advice and support toward helping ensure an appropriate level of safety.
- UNHCR maintains beneficial relationships with host country law enforcement agencies and the UN Security Management System.
-Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
-Conduct regular security assessment missions to the field in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; assist the supervisor during field missions to gather information and analyse the security situation.
-Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place, especially those comprising Minimum Operational Safety Standards (MOSS) and Minimum Operational Residential Safety Standards; check for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
-Monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies/ requirements for the guard force.
-Assist in efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern.
-Provide support during implementation of security-related projects.
-Assist in the monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
-Assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
-Maintain relations and cooperation with UN security management system actors, local law enforcement agencies, civil authorities and other relevant agencies.
-Provide security briefings and training to UNHCR staff, and as appropriate partner staff, on relevant country information and on other issues pertaining to the UN security management system including, inter alia, the warden system, radio communication procedures, travel procedures and fire safety.
-Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
Undertake other functions as delegated by the supervisor.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Represent UNHCR in physical monitoring of projects.
5. Essential Minimum Qualification and Professional Experience Required:
- Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Law, Political Science or related field.
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Computer skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
6. Managerial Competencies/ Cross-Functional Competencies
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Analytical Thinking
- Political Awareness
- Change Capability and Adaptability.
7. Desirable qualifications & Competences
- Good computer skills
- Excellent security apparatus knowledge
8. Important Note
· Interested and qualified applicants should send their English applications along with an updated UN Personal History Form (P.11) www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc , and an updated CV to LBYTRHR@unhcr.org. Applications received after 5th June 2017 will not be considered.
· Please indicate the title and the position number in the subject of the email when you submit your application.
· Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
· Only nationals can apply to this position.