Senior Project Officer
Place of performance
Tripoli, with regular travels to Tunis and in Libya
6 months renewable – full time
Background on ACTED
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,300 national staff 300 international staff, ACTED is active in 35 countries and implements more than 490 projects a year reaching over 11 million beneficiaries.
ACTED’s interventions in Libya are based on a network of CSO partners all over Libya and two permanent offices in Tripoli and Benghazi. The management office is located in Tunis.
ACTED has been particularly active in working with civil society actors in Libya. Since 2012 it is implementing the program Civil Initiatives Libya (CIL) which provides capacity building and technical assistance to Libyan local actors, mainly CSOs, Local Authorities and Universities. The objective of CIL is to define methods and approaches, adapted to the Libyan context, and aiming at improving the resilience of communities and local institutions in times of crisis.
The project is a 3-year project co-funded by the French foreign ministry and the German development agency (GiZ), the purpose of which is to strengthen the capacity of local actors in 15 small and medium-sized municipalities in Libya, to plan and promote sustainable and inclusive local development strategies. Drawing upon its long-standing experience working with civil society actors in Libya, ACTED will focus on identifying, mobilising and strengthening the capacity of civil society actors to take part in a larger inclusive process of local development supported by the GiZ and involving local authorities and local economic actors.
ACTED’s role in this programme has 3 specific aims:
Map civil society actors in the selected municipalities and their areas of work
Assess the capacity of relevant civil society actors, specifically those working to improve social harmony, stability and well-being in the selected municipalities, and identify their key learning needs
Assist in building the capacity of selected civil society actors by providing them with training and support; for them to be more effective in their mission.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Programme Manager in Tunis and the overall supervision of the Programme Manager in Tunis, the Senior Project Officer will assist in the planning of activities related to the project in Libya, following ACTED procedures, and the coordination with ACTED partners and ACTED staff in Libya.
Under the authority of:
Line Manager +3: CIL Director
Line Manager +2: Programme Manager - Migration
Line Manager +1: Deputy Programme Manager
Office Manager in Tripoli; Finance, Logistic, HR, Security
All national partners/stakeholders in Libya
The Senior Project Officer’s role is to:
• Establish and maintain good relations, communication and effective coordination mechanisms with:
o ACTED Project Officers in the 15 municipalities targeted by the project
o GIZ staff in Libya
o Civil Society actors in the 15 municipalities targeted by the project
o National civil society actors and government bodies related to civil society support
o The partner municipalities of the project (especially mayors, focal points…) to support the implementation of their dedicated activities
• Plan the activities related to the project, in coordination with the Deputy Programme Manager in Tunis, with input from the Project Officers in the municipalities, and in coordination with GIZ staff and partner municipalities.
• Ensure all project activities take place within the project’s timeframe and budget, and are adequate, appropriate, cost-effective and in line with the project’s key objectives, based on a set of clear indicators
• Along with Deputy Programme Manager and Finance & Logistics team, assist with the recruitment and follow-up of the local consultants/experts working on the project (control of their work and completion of activities, quality control …)
• Report regularly the project activities, expenses and their impact to Deputy Programme Manager
• Identify best practices and lessons learned
Adding to the above responsibilities, the Senior Project Officer shall cover the following:
• Researching, analysing and reporting on the institutional and legal frameworks related to civil society and local development in Libya
• Liaising with staff in other areas of Libya and providing information and data for ensuring the best possible communication about the activities (ACTED and CIL Websites, Newsletters).
• On Demand:
o Assisting with the implementation of other ACTED projects
o Meeting local partners and participating in developing new projects and new strategies in the field of civil society development
• Commit to the humanitarian principles of strict neutrality, religious and political impartiality and non-discrimination;
• Report and clarify any work-related issues and challenges to supervisor in timely manner;
• Respect time including to work, meetings, deadlines and other reasonable requests;
• Maintain a good team spirit and stimulating working environment amongst staff and colleagues;
• Commit to honest, high quality work in all aspects of responsibilities;
• Be solution-driven;
• Consider safety and security in the field, and immediately report all incidents to the security focal point;
• Undertake any other tasks as reasonably assigned by the area coordinator.
The position is based in Tripoli, with possible travels to Tunis for training and programing purpose, and regular travels within Libya in the partner municipalities, following ACTED security procedures.
At least 2 years of field experience in Civil Society Organisation or aid organisation
Experience in project delivery in a social / aid / human rights setting
Experience in coordination with multiple partners of the private and public sectors and civil society
Good knowledge of civil society actors in Libya
Familiarity with donor reporting and transparency requirements
Fluent in written and spoken Arabic
Highly proficient in written and spoken English
Proven ability to work independently both in the field and in the office
Being a strong team player and taking initiatives
Ability to work with culturally and socially diverse groups of people and organisations
Ability to travel within Libya on a regular basis and occasionally outside of Libya
Strong knowledge of Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint…), professional E-mail software
Experience in managing staff
Experience in data collection and reporting and familiarity with data collection methodologies
Experience organising events
Strong network in Libyan civil society
Familiarity with social media tools, particularly in a civil society setting
Confidence when speaking in public and meeting new people
Experience handling stressful situations and working under tight deadlines
Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid.
Submission of applications
Please send your application including cover letter, CV, cover letter as well as the details of 3 referees (full name, job title, email address, telephone number and their relation to you) to email@example.com with the subject title: Senior Project Officer – CTN – Vacancy. Ref:SPO-TIP "women are strongly encouraged to apply"