Place of performance
Nalut, with travel to Tripoli, Tunis and other parts of Libya
6 months renewable – full time
Background on ACTED
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,300 national staff 300 international staff, ACTED is active in 35 countries and implements more than 490 projects a year reaching over 11 million beneficiaries.
ACTED’s interventions in Libya are based on a network of CSO partners all over Libya and two permanent offices in Tripoli and Benghazi. The management office is located in Tunis.
ACTED has been particularly active in working with civil society actors in Libya. Since 2012 it is implementing the program Civil Initiatives Libya (CIL) which provides capacity building and technical assistance to Libyan local actors, mainly CSOs, Local Authorities and Universities. The objective of CIL is to define methods and approaches, adapted to the Libyan context, and aiming at improving the resilience of communities and local institutions in times of crisis.
The project is a 3-year project co-funded by the French foreign ministry and the German development agency (GiZ), the purpose of which is to strengthen the capacity of local actors in 15 small and medium-sized municipalities in Libya, to plan and promote sustainable and inclusive local development strategies. Drawing upon its long-standing experience working with civil society actors in Libya, ACTED will focus on identifying, mobilising and strengthening the capacity of civil society actors to take part in a larger inclusive process of local development supported by the GiZ and involving local authorities and local economic actors.
ACTED’s role in this programme has 3 specific aims:
- Map civil society actors in the selected municipalities and their areas of work
- Assess the capacity of relevant civil society actors, specifically those working to improve social harmony, stability and well-being in the selected municipalities, and identify their key learning needs
- Assist in building the capacity of selected civil society actors by providing them with training and support; for them to be more effective in their mission.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Officer in Tripoli and the overall supervision of the Programme Manager in Tunis, the Project Officer will be in charge of ensuring the delivery of activities in Zintan and its surrounding areas, following ACTED procedures, and in coordination with ACTED partners and ACTED staff in Libya.
Under the authority of:
Line Manager +3: Programme Manager - Migration
Line Manager +2: Deputy Programme Manager (Tunis)
Line Manager +1: Senior Project Officer (Tripoli)
Office Manager in Tripoli; Finance, Logistic, HR, Security
All national and local partners/stakeholders In Libya
The Project Officer role is to:
• Establish and maintain good relations and regular communication with:
o Civil Society actors in the municipality and its surrounding area
o The municipality itself and other local public bodies
o National civil society and government bodies when needed
o GiZ staff in Libya
• Planning the delivery of the planned activities in the municipality, following ACTED procedures, and in coordination with the Senior Project Officer, GIZ, local partners and the municipality.
• Ensuring all project activities take place within the required timeframe and budget, and that they are adequate, appropriate, cost-effective and in line with the project’s key objectives in the municipality, based on a set of clear indicators
• Coordinate with the target beneficiaries of the project and all relevant local actors, to ensure the project is responsive to their needs and takes into account their input, and collect regular feedback after activities.
• Follow-up with relevant local consultants/experts to ensure quality control of their work
• Assisting with the internal reporting of all activity-related expenses in the municipality and the activities’ impact.
• Identifying best practices and lessons learned
Adding to the above responsibilities, the Senior Project Officer shall cover the following:
• Liaising with staff in other areas of Libya and providing information and data for ensuring the best possible communication about the activities (ACTED and CIL Websites, Newsletters).
• On Demand:
o Assisting with the implementation of other ACTED projects
o Meeting local partners, and participating in developing new ideas and strategies in the field of civil society development
The position is based in Zintan, with travel to Tripoli and Tunis for training and programing purposes, and regular travels within Libya to other partner municipalities when necessary, following ACTED security procedures.
• Commit to the humanitarian principles of strict neutrality, religious and political impartiality and non-discrimination; • Report and clarify any work-related issues and challenges to supervisor in timely manner; • Respect time including to work, meetings, deadlines and other reasonable requests; • Maintain a good team spirit and stimulating working environment amongst staff and colleagues; • Commit to honest, high quality work in all aspects of responsibilities; • Be solution-driven; • Consider safety and security in the field, and immediately report all incidents to the security focal point; • Undertake any other tasks as reasonably assigned by the area coordinator.
At least 2 years of experience in a Civil Society Organisation, aid organisation or social public body
Experience organising events
Experience in coordination with multiple partners of the private, public and civil society sectors
Good knowledge of civil society actors in the municipality
Familiarity with reporting and transparency requirements in an aid setting
Fluent in written and spoken Arabic
Good spoken English
Proven ability to work independently
Being a strong team player and taking initiatives
Ability to work with culturally and socially diverse groups of people and organisations
Ability to travel within Libya on a regular basis and occasionally to Tunisia
Strong knowledge of Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint…), professional E-mail software
Experience in managing partnerships
Experience in data collection and reporting and familiarity with feedback collection
Strong network in local civil society in the area
Familiarity with social media tools, particularly in a civil society setting
Confidence when speaking in public and meeting new people
Experience working with local public bodies
Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid.
Submission of applications
Please send your application including cover letter, CV, cover letter as well as the details of 3 referees (full name, job title, email address, telephone number and their relation to you) to email@example.com with the subject title: Project Officer – CTN – Vacancy. Ref:PO-NAL "women are strongly encouraged to apply"