Since the signing of the Libya Political Agreement (LPA) in late 2015, Libya’s political future is hopeful but fragile. A new Government of National Accord (GNA) is working to help the country recover from two years of conflict, and have just announced the intent to hold parliamentary elections in March 2018. Local authorities like municipal councils have also assumed large governance responsibilities over the past 2 years. However, they face serious challenges in providing services. These issues are particularly noticeable in the Sirte region, which is recovering from conflict, destruction, and displacement. Many of the town’s residents fled last year - creating a huge influx of IDPs to other cities along the coast. As of November 2016, the fighting is decreasing and residents are starting to return. As Sirte region recovers from violence and displacement, the program is working with local authorities to provide critical support to residents in region. This includes rehabilitating public services such as waste management, education, water, and basic infrastructure. It also includes refurbishing public facilities, economic recovery, and psychological and social support to returning children and families.
The Operations Specialist is responsible for logistics and project office operations, upkeep, and functioning. This includes: human resources, recruitment, procurement, subcontracts, compliance, and inventory. The Operations Specialist ensures proper policies are adhered to and controls are in place in Misrata to focus on Sirte programming. Additionally, this role drafts and keeps a tracker of all operations related contractual agreements such as leases, service agreements, and transportation service agreements.
The Operations Specialist reports to the Sirte Program Manager.
The Operations Specialist will be based in Misrata with significant travel to Tripoli and around the Sirte region, as the security situation permits.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage day-to-day operational field presence in Misrata with a focus on Sirte, including managing facilities (including Misrata commercial space) equipment and inventory, and transportation services subcontract (for car and driver services) and regional in-country logistics.
· Receive and inspect all incoming property and reconciles against purchase orders to ensure accurate documentation and tracking. S/he also facilitates and oversees appropriate storage and labeling of all non-expendable property.
· Manage and reconcile small petty cash.
· Ensures proper policies are adhered to and controls are in place for human resources, and procurement procedures.
· Coordinates with the field security team and operations risk director (ORD), and the IT officer to ensure that all hardware and software for office security needs are up to date and fully functioning.
· Work closely with the IT officer to ensure that both static and mobile internet systems are in place and functioning to allow for continuous operations in the event that the office is required to shift to a work-from-home status.
· Tracks monthly top up cards distribution to all of the local staff.
· Provides support to operations/HR staff in the Misrata field office.
· Consult with grants specialists and procurement specialists in for procurement efforts to support the design of the activities to assure effective implementation aligned with programmatic objectives.
· As needed, actively participate and support in the problem solving and troubleshooting throughout the grant cycle to assure implementation remains within the spirit of the original design concept.
· Coordinate with PS to provide sufficient written information for negotiation memos and all relevant contract documents as possible for procurement efforts.
· Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required.
· Due to the senior nature of this position, a minimum of four years in a similar role (e.g. administrative or logistics).
· Experience with cash-based activities is preferred.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to prioritize multiple work assignments in an extremely fast-paced environment, to meet deadlines, and to exercise good, professional judgment that communicates the established message of the program.
· Strong organizational, management and administrative skills.
· Demonstrated working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel and other basic computer applications.
· Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, and to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines consistently. An ability to multitask and work under pressure is desired.
· Fluent Arabic is required, English proficiency is acceptable although English fluency is strongly preferred.
· Strong knowledge of Misrata and the surrounding geographic area.
Qualified Candidates should send an email by Monday July 25 with a CV, Cover Letter and three (3) References to email@example.com. Please include “Operations Specialist-Misrata” in the subject line of the email. Please note that CVs will be considered on a rolling basis. No CVs received after July 25 will be considered.