Internal & External Vacancy Notice
Title of the Position
Shelter Associate, GL-6
Type of contract/duration
Temporary Appointment (Three Months Renewable)
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) in Libya is seeking dynamic, committed and qualified persons interested in an exciting career in humanitarian affairs.
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country. It also has a mandate to help stateless people. In more than six decades, the agency has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives. Today, a staff of some 7,190 people in more than 120 countries continues to help some 36.4 million persons.
1. Organizational Context
The Shelter Associate under the direct supervision of the Shelter/NFI Coordinator will ensure the technical integrity of all aspects of the shelter/NFI projects, such as assessments, measurements, technical drawings, surveys, training. The incumbent will establish trust and constructive working relationship with local authorities, implementing partners, CSOs and beneficiaries and facilitate smooth implementation of UNHCR’s activities.
- Shelter/NFI projects are regularly monitored and evaluated.
- Progress on shelter/NFI projects is reported on a weekly/monthly basis.
- Provide civil engineering advice to support UNHCR's Shelter/NFI requirements in the Libya operation including the emergency response following the humanitarian international and local standards.
- Provide technical advice on the entire project starting from the assessment, planning stage till final monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure the technical integrity of all aspects of the shelter/NFI projects, such as assessments, measurements, technical drawings, surveys, training (technical drawings and BoQ provided by UNHCR and to be adjusted depending on local settings).
- Undertake assessments within area of responsibility and collect data to implement projects, in conjunction with the local officers of appropriate government departments and NGO.
- Contribute towards the implementation of the Shelter/NFI Strategy.
- Report findings, including substantiated recommendation as to the urgency/feasibility of projects.
- Prepare cost estimates for approved projects and assist in sourcing of shelter material based on BoQ.
- Facilitate tender/bidding procedure and selection of contractors in coordination with supervisor/manager.
- Undertake procurement of the necessary equipment, materials in coordination with supervisor/manager.
- Oversee and coordinate the workers and sub-contracts in implementation of the projects.
- Supervise the monitoring of NFI distributions.
- Produce report related to NFI distributions, including follow up and tracking.
- Conduct joint monitoring with the field team and other functional units of projects in progress.
- Mobilize communities to keep up community interest and participation in the project activities, and to build partnership relationships.
- Train, when appropriate, NGO partners and constantly monitor implementation.
- Ensure good community participation in the execution of the projects through technical training and hiring trained workers as paid labour, when appropriate.
- Monitor and report progress on a weekly basis to the supervisor/manager.
- Provide inputs for evaluation of projects.
- Supervise third party monitoring activities related to shelter/NFI activities in Libya.
- Undertake any other duties as required.
- Liaise on shelter/NFI related matters with IPs and local authorities on behalf of UNHCR.
5. Essential Minimum Qualification and Professional Experience and Required Competencies:
- Completion of secondary education with post-secondary certificate/training in Civil Engineering with expertise in/focus on shelter construction, and NFI distributions.
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Experience in mobilizing and providing training on construction, NFI distributions and related fields.
- Very good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Managing Performance
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Planning and Organizing
6. Desirable qualifications
- Communication and co-ordination skills.
- Field experience.
- High level of independence combined with ability to work in and lead teams.
- Knowledge on the use of computer aided design tools.
7. Important Note
· Interested and qualified applicants should send their English applications along with an updated UN Personal History Form (P.11) www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc and an updated CV to LBYTRHR@unhcr.org. Applications received after 15 August 2017 will not be considered.
· Please indicate the title in the subject line of the email when you submit your application.
· Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
· Only nationals can apply to this position.
· UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).