Internal & External Vacancy Notice
Title of the Position
Senior Registration Assistant- GL5
Type of contract/duration
Temporary Appointment (Three Months Renewable)
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) in Libya is seeking dynamic, committed and qualified persons interested in an exciting career in humanitarian affairs.
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country. It also has a mandate to help stateless people. In more than six decades, the agency has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives. Today, a staff of some 7,190 people in more than 120 countries continues to help some 36.4 million persons.
1. Organizational Context
The Senior Registration Assistant is a member of the Registration team. The Senior Registration Assistant is responsible for supporting all activities related to registration, which may also include functions related to reception, filing and data management. The incumbent provides counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR's registration procedures and their rights and entitlements. S/he liaises closely with protection staff and partners to ensure timely identification and referral of persons of concern for protection follow up. The Senior Registration Assistant may assist in compiling and analyzing information related to registration activities in the operation. The Senior Registration Assistant may provide interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which s/he has the required language competencies.
- UNHCR's Registration Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies.
- Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to registration procedures.
- Assist in the implementation of registration strategies and methodologies for populations of concern.
- Conduct registration interviews when required in accordance with registration standards and guidance.
-Provide counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR's registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
-Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all individual registration cases.
- Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required.
- Collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming, including provision of identity and entitlement documentation.
- Draft correspondence and reports relating to registration activities in the operation, when required
- Provide statistics and draft reports related to registration data, as requested.
-Act as interpreter and translator when needed.
-Perform other related duties as required.
- Refer cases to other units within the office and to implementing partners as necessary.
- Draft and submit reports and statistics related to registration.
5. Essential Minimum Qualification and Professional Experience Required:
- Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Social science, Statistics, Mathematics, Information Technology, or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant job experience.
- Good computer skills, particularly in data management.
- Excellent knowledge of English and local language.
6. Managerial Competencies/ Cross-Functional Competencies
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Technological Awareness
7. Desirable qualifications
- Training in basic principles of international protection.
- Experience in working with UNHCR proGres software.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
8. Important Note
· Interested and qualified applicants should send their English applications along with an updated UN Personal History Form (P.11) www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc , and an updated CV to LBYTRHR@unhcr.org. Applications received after 09 August 2017 will not be considered.
· Please indicate the title and location of the position in the subject of the email when you submit your application.
· Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
· Only nationals can apply to this position.