Internal & External Vacancy Notice
Title of the Position
Senior Programme Assistant GL-5
Type of contract/duration
Temporary Appointment (Three Months Renewable)
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) in Libya is seeking dynamic, committed and qualified persons interested in an exciting career in humanitarian affairs.
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country. It also has a mandate to help stateless people. In more than six decades, the agency has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives. Today, a staff of some 7,190 people in more than 120 countries continues to help some 36.4 million persons.
1. Organizational Context
The incumbent normally receives guidance from more senior programme staff in the operation. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country programme(s). UNHCR Manual, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Senior Programme Assistant.
The incumbent is expected to have contacts within the organization and outside the duty station, as well as with partners and other stakeholders to collect information, monitor programme activities and implement administrative requirements.
- UNHCR country office has sufficient administrative assistance and support in routine services and activities within Programme Section thus better able to meet the needs of persons of concern.
- IP agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on in compliance with established guidelines and procedures.
- Collects, registers and maintains information on project activities.
- Prepare status and progress reports, prepare tables and draft routine correspondence.
- Prepare background material for use in discussions and briefing sessions.
- Undertake proper collection, monitoring and use of baselines, standards and indicators needed to measure and analyse programme performance, trends and target interventions.
- Review the implementation and performance of IPs agreements through appropriate physical monitoring to evaluate the projects by reviewing work plans, progress reports, budget, financial reports and expenditures. This may include field visits for specific monitoring and evaluation issues.
- Apply UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Global Focus, Focus Client) to assess the technical soundness of the operation and generate data for evidence-based decisions at the country-level.
- Assist in ensuring compliance in issuance of audit certificates for Implementing Partners.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Provide inputs for the country operations plan (including budgets, staffing levels and structures) as well as prepare inputs for funding submissions, appeals and reports.
- Access the relevant information and programme records, Focus/ MSRP data.
- Represent UNHCR in physical monitoring of projects.
5. Essential Minimum Qualification and Professional Experience Required:
- Completion of Secondary education courses/ training/ certificate in Business Administration, Social Science, International Law or related field
- Minimum 4 years of previous job experience relevant to the function
- Computer skills (in MS office)
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language
6. Managerial Competencies/ Cross-Functional Competencies
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
7. Desirable qualifications
- Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, procedures and processes.
- Knowledge of UNHCR specific programmes (MSRP, Focus, etc.).
- Prior exposure to UNHCR refugee operations and functions relating to office administration and programme activities.
8. Important Note
· Interested and qualified applicants should send their English applications along with an updated UN Personal History Form (P.11) www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc , and an updated CV to LBYTRHR@unhcr.org. Applications received after 10 October 2017 will not be considered.
· Please indicate the title and location of the position in the subject of the email when you submit your application.
· Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
· Only nationals can apply to this position.