Vacancy No: LN02LIB
Post Title: POLITICAL ADVISOR ASSISTANT
Organization: EUBAM Libya
Duration: 8 months with possibility of extension
No of posts: 1
Sex: Male/ Female
Date Announced: 18/08/2013
Closing Date: 01/09/2013
OPEN TO LIBYAN RESIDENTS ONLY
The European Union Integrated Border Management Assistance Mission in Libya (EUBAM Libya) is present in Libya since April 2013.
Interested Libyan residents should submit their applications no later than 01/09/2013, closure of business.
Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Interested applicants MUST submit the following documents only via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and MUST indicate the vacancy No in the subject line of their email (e.g. LN02LIB).
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of high school/secondary diploma
- Copy of academic certificate(s)
- Copy of national passport
- Proof of Libyan residency
- Three (3) contact details of references from former employers or academic instructors
Note: Candidates are required to bring original certificates to the interview. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Successful candidates will be subject to a security screening.
The Political Advisor Assistant will support the Political Office in providing high-quality support to the international staff in the implementation of the EUBAM mandate. This position reports to the Political Advisor, or the designated alternate, and is responsible for:
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Monitoring the political, socio-economic and other politically-relevant developments in an assigned area and providing relevant and timely analysis and advice
- Supporting the political outreach of the Mission through appropriate contacts, analysis, and networking
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of events relating to political issues in a specified area or subject matter
- Analysing information contained in communications and publications received form different sources, including the press
- Assisting international staff with briefing notes, background papers and talking points
- Preparing summaries of articles and documents from a wide variety of sources and drafting a variety of correspondence and/or sections of reports
- Providing translation and interpretation between Arabic and English when necessary
- Supporting visits, outreach and other politically-related Mission activities across Libya
- Performing any other related duties as instructed by the line manager or designated alternate
Qualifications and experience
- University degree preferably in political science, international relations, international economics, law or other relevant field, or any other demonstrably-relevant training
- A minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible experience in politics and/or political analysis, international relations, law, security, conflict resolution, civil society advocacy, public administration, reform consultancy or other related field
- Strong network of political and other contacts, and evidence of drawing on contacts to deliver results for an employing organisation
- Deep understanding of Libyan social and political structures and current affairs, grounded in an understanding of Libyan culture and history and informed by a relevant conceptual framework
- Excellent grasp of regional political dynamics and their effect on Libya
- Excellent Arabic and English oral and written drafting skills
- Very good computer skills (Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel etc.).
- Knowledge of European Security Defence Policy (ESDP) Missions and EUBAM Libya activities in Tripoli is desirable
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, in difficult circumstances, as well as ability to communicate with personnel at operational and strategic levels
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, complete assigned tasks within strict deadlines and consistently maintain quality and accuracy in the performance of duties
- Meticulous time keeping, ability and willingness to work additional hours if required
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Mandatory requirement to pass security clearance and medical checks
- Ability to maintain a clean, safe and hazard free working environment and the highest standards of personal appearance at all times
- Additional language skills are desirable